Vegan potato soup with smoked tofu
In my environment, opinions on soups vary greatly. I've often heard that many people don't consider soup a proper meal. But I think it all depends on how you eat it. I think many soups should be accompanied by a good piece of bread, for example. And it also depends on what ingredients you use when cooking. Potato soup is a good example, especially in fall and winter, and we look forward to a big pot of it topped with crispy fried smoked tofu so that everyone is satiated and warmed from the inside. This soup is probably one of the best German comfort foods, alongside dumplings and gravy. And there's another advantage: preparing vegan potato soup is unbeatably easy.
It's best to use floury potatoes to make the consistency nice and creamy. The base of the soup consists only of onions, carrots and, of course, potatoes, which are fried and then cooked in vegetable stock until soft. The smoked tofu is sautéed separately in a pan and deglazed with soy sauce or liquid smoke if necessary. Then simply blend the soup and stir in the vegan cream and parsley – easy, right?
We season to taste with salt, pepper, and marjoram in a classic way. Of course, you can also add vegan tofu wieners to the pot. We prefer to top the soup with spring onions, but you can, of course, go wild when serving. The result: a hearty, filling and comfortingly warm dish that is sure to silence even the soup critics around you.
Vegan Potato Soup with smoked tofu
- 1 kg floury potatoes
- 3-4 carrots
- 2 onions
- 3 tsp oil
- 750 ml vegetable broth
- 200 ml plant-based cream
- 15 g parsley
- 200 g smoked tofu
- optional: vegan wieners
- optional: spring onions
- Peel potatoes and carrots and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Peel onions and chop roughly.
- Heat the oil in a high pot and sauté the onions for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the carrots and potatoes and fry for another three to four minutes. Deglaze with veggie broth.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes until all the vegetables are soft. Then purée.
- Cut the smoked tofu into small pieces and fry them in a separate pan with a little oil.
- Stir in the plant-based cream. Wash the parsley, chop, and add to the soup.
- Season with salt and pepper. Optional: Add the wiener sausages to the soup and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Wash spring onions, cut into rings and add to the soup.