Onigiri Balls with Sriracha Mayo
Normally, onigiris are triangular. Well, normally. But we are having a small&round party, so we don’t need any corners this week. But fortunately there is nothing easier than to turn onigiris into balls and to roll your sticky sushi rice in the palms of your hands. You can stuff your onigiri balls with a lot of things: veggies, cheese, roasted onions, chocolate or whatever comes into your mind. We made a classic version of it and show you, how to do your first vegan Onigiris.
onigiri balls with sriracha mayo
- 150 g (5.5 oz) sushi rice
- 2 nori sheets
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 50 g (2 oz) of white and black sesame seeds
- 1/4 avocado
- 1/4 cucumber
- plus any veggies you like
- 100 g (3.5 oz) vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Sriracha
- soy sauce
- Place sushi rice in a pot and rinse vigorously under running water. Swish the rice around with a spoon and drain the cloudy water away. Drain and rinse until the water is clear.
- Place 400 ml / 1.75 cups of fresh water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Add your sushi rice, let boil for 1 - 2 minutes, reduce temperature and let simmer for 15 minutes. Your rice should be soft and sticky.
- Remove water and add your sushi in another bowl. Turn around with a spoon, so the sushi rice cooles down. Wait up to 30 minutes, let your sushi rice chill and get formable.
- In a small bowl bring to a boil the rice vingear, salt and sugar. Add the mixture to your sushi rice and stir well.
- Mince the nori sheets with a scissor and stir the tiny bits into sushi rice.
- Peel avocado, remove the seed and dice the flesh into small bits.
- Wash cucumber and dice into small bits too.
- Use plastic wrap and add a tbsp of sushi rice on it. Press the sushi rice a bit down. Now add the veggies on your rice, top with another tbsp of sushi rice and form a ball with the help of the plastic wrap.
- Now mix the white and black sesame in a bowl, roll your nigiri ball in the mixture and you are ready!
- For sriracha mayo, mix sriracha with vegan mayonnaise. You can also use soy sauce to dip.